Property ratings in Airbnb are influenced by many factors such as cleanliness and service. Among the critical features of your, Airbnb is how you set it up, furnish, and stylize your Airbnb. Furniture is part of the product and experience you promise on Airbnb therefore it is important to give it a lot of time and consideration.
Hosts and future hosts usually find themselves baffled at the task of having to furnish their Airbnb and understandably so. When you first start looking for furniture it can be quite a daunting task because amazing room designs can be immediately translated into amazing prices if marketed well.
Whether you are looking to refurnish your entire property or just looking to amp up a few rooms to get those 5-star ratings coming, the key is to choose sensible yet elegant furniture that can appeal to a wide range of tastes. Regardless of the reason for travel, people expect their stay to be a positive one and the interior of your short-term rental can take their whole experience up a notch.
Top 5 Things To Think About When Furnishing Your Airbnb
If you’re considering a full renovation, consider reading the Airbnb Reno Guide. If you only want to replace your furniture, here is a list of things to do before you start:
- What are you goals? What’s the reason for furnishing/refurnishing?
- Make a checklist of everything needed
- Set a maximum and minimum budget
- Keep the cleaning crew in the loop
- Identify the best time to update your furniture
The Reason For Furnishing / Refurnishing
Whether you’re furnishing for the first time or redecorating your space, it’s a good idea to be clear on what your ultimate goals are.
If you are looking to redecorate, consider why you are doing it. Your goals will be excellent guides when you’re preparing a checklist of everything you need.
It’s important to also consider the needs of your guests. Here is a list of interesting target groups you can consider:
Making A Furniture Checklist
We recommend making a few lists in order to get a good sense of what your needs are:
- A list of all your existing furniture
Outline what’s functioning, what needs to be repainted or repaired, what can be reused, and what needs to be removed from the space.
- A list of all the furniture you need by room
Outline what each room needs in order to function well (and look nice!).
- Cross reference your first list of what you have, with your second list of what you need, and determine what’s missing. This final list will be your shopping list. You should sort this list in order of importance, from the absolute necessities to the nice to have-s. That way, you’ll know what you need to focus on sourcing first.
Keep in mind that sometimes buying a new product can be cheaper than repairing it. To stick within your budget, be sure to check garage sales, craigslist, etc.
Budgeting is important in every project. Set a sensible budget and be very strict about keeping to it because every dollar spent on the property is less in profits. The best way to keep to it is to use your third checklist from above (necessities Vs. nice to haves).
Furniture And Accessories: Airbnb Host Checklist
When looking at furnishing your property, keep in mind that you are catering to a wide range of tastes from a wide range of guests.
The arrangement of furniture plays a significant role in maximizing space utilization. Consider the layout that offers the most functionality while maintaining a sense of openness. Start by taking measurements of the rooms and mapping out different furniture placement options. Avoid blocking natural light sources and create clear pathways for easy movement.
Try to stick to the “theme” in your property, if you have one, but also be sure to choose pieces that are timeless and sturdy (to last you a long time). Read on for simple, cost-effective tips when selecting key furniture:
__The Bed: __
- A solid bed that can survive a lot of wear and tear.
- A storage bed would give you the extra space to store your laundry and extra linens. Surprisingly, it seems to be the one place guests don’t seem to look in to.
- Watch out for beds with legs that come off easily or look too light, especially ones with plastic legs.
- Mattresses must be at least 8 inches in height.
- Opt for memory foam mattresses as they are more durable than spring mattresses and cheaper to replace.
- Use a mattress cover to ensure your mattress survives longer even with messy guests.
- Opt for white as it gives a hotel-like feel and can be bleached
- Don’t mix and match the whites from different brands to ensure consistency
- Opt for a full-length mirror especially for ladies preparing to go for events.
- Have a power socket close by for hairdryers/ hair irons.
- The mirror is also a decorative item so find one with an interesting frame.
The Living Room:
- Sofas have a lot of traffic passing through them so buy one that can easily cope up and easy to maintain
- Avoid real and faux leather as they are difficult to maintain in the long run.
- Consider sofas with washable covers so you can pull one out and replace it with another every time it gets dirty
- Opting for a sofa bed can increase occupancy allowing you to increase the overall rent for your property.
Tables and Chairs:
- The dining table must be able to resist wear and tear.
- It doesn’t have to be the best-looking piece of furniture in the room as it can easily be dressed with a tablecloth and a runner and a couple of vases or candles to turn into a masterpiece.
- The chairs have to be comfortable and easy to move around. Opt for less bulky chairs that are easy to maintain.
- Chairs will sometimes have to bear the weight of 150 kgs depending on the guests who visit so think sturdy yet light materials when it comes to chairs.
- Consider going for darker colored chairs so that stains and blemishes will be less visible.
- Boost your space with smart storage. Beds with drawers, wall hooks for coats, pegboards in the kitchen, and stackable containers can all help. Plus, offering guests a designated spot for their personal items, like a luggage rack, keeps things tidy.
- Pick space-saving furniture with big functionality. Think sofa beds, folding tables, or ottomans with hidden storage compartments. These versatile pieces allow you to transform the layout of your space according to your guests' needs.
- Use mirrors to make your Airbnb feel bigger and brighter. Mirrored doors or panels expand rooms visually. Combine different lighting types, like wall sconces and adjustable floor lamps, to enhance space without crowding surfaces.
- Go minimal in your Airbnb for a roomier feel. Pick multi-use furniture and declutter often, keeping only essentials. Fewer decorations and items mean more focus on key features. Add storage, as needed, and clean regularly to keep spaces open and inviting.
- Optimize your Airbnb's outdoor areas. Add foldable seating and weatherproof cushions for comfort. Include a small table or grill for meals and use vertical space with hanging plants. A cozy outdoor spot boosts your listing's appeal.
Furnishing your Airbnb takes time and planning to do well, and on budget.
Once you have furnished your property don’t forget to tell your past and potential guests about the updates to encourage repeat or new visits. Take lots of high-quality pictures to prove it. You can opt to use social media sites like Pinterest or send out an email marketing campaign to make sure all your guests see what you’ve done with your property.
Need help growing your property rental business? Request a free demo to find out how Hostaway helps property managers all over the world expand their businesses.